The operator of the site, AEG Europe, was seeking to submit a planning application to introduce a number of additional venues under the same roof. Movement Strategies was commissioned to review people movement in the entertainment district and outside the Arena. We were to consider the implications of the proposals on circulation and movement patterns, highlighting any areas of concern and identifying recommended mitigation measures.
What we did
Our evidence-based approach consisted of a qualitative
and quantitative assessment of the proposed plan, building on our expert
knowledge of comfort standards and people movement behaviour in the context of
an entertainment and retail venue.
Our methodology included:
- Monitoring and observing of pedestrian flows in all key areas;
- Development of demand forecasts associated with the future venues;
- Definition of tailored design standards;
- Review of design proposals for new walkways and circulation areas;
- Capacity analysis of routes to assess future crowd densities;
- We also undertook post-expansion observations to confirm that the movement patterns and densities occurred as forecasted, and that the resulted visitor experience was in the design standards.
Our report included recommendations to identify risks to visitor safety or experience, and found many new opportunities for commercialisation within the public spaces.
This included the recommended location, type and layout of ‘activation zones’, and a potential new area for retail, food and beverage units that have the greatest potential to be revenue generators, based on visitor footfall and lines of sight.
We also made recommendations to alleviate capacity constraints by removing of street furniture and implementing a management strategy, to be employed for the peak Arena egress scenario. The study supported AEG Europe’s planning process by providing a detailed insight into future people movement patterns and business development opportunities.
Movement Strategies is a London based People Movement Consultancy, with clients worldwide across the Sports + Events, Transport, Civic + Cultural and Smart Cities sectors. Contact us today to find out more about our services.