As recognised specialists in crowd dynamics for major sporting events, and particularly in the multi-venue parks for major events, Movement Strategies was commissioned as part of the Populous team developing the Masterplan for the Sochi Olympic Park. Located on the Russian Black Sea coast, the Olympic Park contained six competition venues and was subsequently converted to host several other events including a Formula One Grand Prix and will be a venue for the forthcoming FIFA World Cup.
What we did
Our involvement at the early stage in Masterplanning the Olympic Park included the following activities:
• Development of Games-time Spectator and Workforce demand forecasts
• Definition of crowd density standards
• Assessment of the layout of the Park, the proposed visitor access points, and pedestrian routes
• Integrating the venue design proposals with the Olympic Park Masterplan
• Developing a risk assessment framework and strategy for a Park-wide evacuation.
As a separate project, we supported the Populous and Buro Happold Design Team for the Olympic Stadium, assessing the capacity of the podium and proposed operational plan in both the Olympic Ceremony and FIFA World Cup configurations.