WHAT WE DID
Our team developed an evidence-based approach to the study through the collection of visitor movement data, using a variety of technologies. Developing validated models and using these tools in an appropriate way ensured that our spatial designs and operational advice was robust. We have deployed a number of technologies and analytical tools to support the advice we have delivered to Historic Royal Palaces:
- Extensive data collection exercises (Bluetooth, CCTV, manual tracking surveys) to deliver an evidence base of actual visitor behaviours and circulation patterns such as, routes used, itineraries, dwell times, variations due to demographics or seasonality
- Identification of key movement trends to inform space planning needs across the site, both within the Tower walls and beyond. This included the interface with the surrounding public realm
- Dynamic micro-simulation modelling to predict visitor movement patterns, capacities and comfort levels to test and evaluate new designs and operational scenarios for example, new visitor entrances, ticketing arrangements etc.
Our user-centered and evidence-based approach supported our recommendations for design and operational changes. Benefits included:
- Delivery of practical circulation and space planning design advice within a protected and confined physical environment
- Improvement in time to entry queues being significantly reduced at peak times, from 10 minutes to less than 2 minutes
- Provision of quantitative measures to capture the visitor experience and site performance, including new benchmarking indices to inform and monitor future performance
- Emphasis on improving the visitor ‘welcome’ by breaking down the arrival experience into its component parts; a demonstration on how the visitor experience could be enriched at the same time as increasing the capacity of the attraction
- Development of modelling tools and a site-specific database which can be used to inform, test and evaluate future space planning and operational decisions in a cost effective and robust manner.